How to use the IRC chat room
How to change your nickname
When the IRC chat room loads, you are automatically logged in as GFQ_Viewer_####. Here is how to change your nickname from the generic GFQ_Viewer_####, to whatever you like.
- Click on the button just to the left of the button with a smiley face, and select Change nickname.
- Delete GFQ_Viewer_#### from the dialog box that pops up, type your desired nickname, and click Submit.
That’s it! However, please be aware that if you change your nickname to one that is registered by someone other than you, or cannot supply the correct password, your name will be automatically changed to Unidentified#####. This often happens when you use popular names like Mike or Joe. If this happens to you, please try changing your nickname to something more unique.
How to register your nickname
Registering your nickname is a great way to make sure that no one else uses the same nickname as you, or tries to impersonate you. Note, that there are several thousand users on the IRC network, and the nickname you want, may already be registered. Also, you must have been using your nickname for at least 2 minutes before you can registered it.
- Click on Menu, and choose Register nickname.
- A dialog box will display asking you for your email, and a password. Please choose a strong password.
After you submit your registration, you will get an email with instructions on how to confirm your registration.
- Enter the registration confirmation in the IRC chat room, without any leading, or trailing spaces, as seen in the image below.
If your registration is successful, you should see the message “[NOTICE NickServ]: Nickname [YOUR NICK] registered.” in the IRC chat room.
Now whenever you enter the IRC chat room, and change your nickname to your registered nick, you will be prompted to enter your password.
If you enter your password incorrectly, your nickname will be changed to Unidentified#####. To correct this, follow the steps to change your nickname, and the password prompt should display again.
What IRC server do you use?
How to use IRC Chatroom